Friday, February 04, 2011

A New Year's Confession

So, this is kind of an awkward New Year's resolution to state on a knitblog, but my primary resolution this year was to knit less. I have gradually come to realize that knitting is a crutch for me. It's easier to sit at home, knitting & reading, than to go skiing, or meet people, or learn a new skill. I rarely choose challenging knitting projects, sticking to things that can be easily knit while reading or watching tv. A friend of mine recently took up the electric guitar, and mentioned today that she wishes I would pick up my guitar someday & join her. And I thought to myself, I'll add that to the list of hobbies I don't have anymore because I spend all my free time knitting & reading. And I literally did.

So how have I done so far? I have been spinning once a week (shut up, it counts) and I am going on my second ski trip (with strangers) tomorrow. I practiced drawing twice, very badly. I haven't broken out my watercolors yet, nor have I gotten out my guitar. BUT on Monday's task list, I put "check on guitar and mandolin"-they've been neglected so long they will need some work before they can be played. I'm hoping to draw on Sunday.

I do realize my free time is too limited to have more than one hobby and be fairly good at it. And I need to get used to the idea of being happily mediocre. I'm not a competitive person, but I hate to be bad at things. So if I stick to my resolution, 2011 will be the year I make peace with being awful. That might be the hardest resolution of all.

3 comments:

Carole Knits said...

I hope this doesn't mean you will give up hanging out with knitters and spinners! I would miss you!!

claudia said...

I like this resolution alot. Sometimes its important to shake things up!

P.S. Its kind of freeing to be a beginner at something, when looked at the right way.

maryse said...

hahaha your resolution cracked me up. especially your line "i will make peace with being awful." i don't like sucking at stuff either, but i'm ok with not being an expert and i get a lot of satisfaction out of showing improvement.