Monday, February 14, 2011

One New Skill

Well, it's not exactly a skill yet. But in this, the winter of doing things other than knitting, I am taking a basketweaving class. I gotta say, this is one of the slowest-going crafts ever.

This picture doesn't really demonstrate the complete inadequacy of my progress, but the meager amount of caning you see represents literally 8 hours of work. Dude, that's like a sock! Okay, maybe only half a sock. But still. What you're looking at is the base of an 8" bread basket, surrounded by about 2" of caning.

On the plus side, caning is fun and kind of meditative, and the basket is really pretty. Ultimately I'd like to make a tote bag. I've seen these really cool Nantucket basket tote bags with fabric drawstring linings, and I am cheap, and they are crazy, crazy expensive.

Of course, now I can appreciate why! It'll take me, like, a year to make one. But I just might.

2 comments:

Carole Knits said...

GO Martha!

maryse said...

this is very cool.